Wednesday 17 April 2013

A Name Is How The World Sees You

In the novel, The Namesake, the reader is introduced to Gogol Ganguli. Even though the majority of people call him Gogol, that is not his official or "good" name. His real name is Nikhil Ganguli. When Gogol was younger, he liked his name; in fact, he wanted to be called Gogol and didn't respond when people would address him as Nikhil. As he got older, he felt that his name was very different and felt embarrased when people would say it. For example, when Gogol's English class studied work written by Nikolai Gogol, he felt embarrassed whenever the teacher would refer to Gogol; even though the teacher wasn't directly refering to him. I understand what it feels like to not like a name because when I was younger, I used to hate my name. I disliked it because occasionally people would call me Justin, but now that I'm older, I like my name because of how unique it is. I think that having a unique name is something to be proud of, it's feels like you're one of a kind. In this novel, Gogol has one of the most unique names that anyone could ever have and I think that when he was younger he liked the name because he wanted to feel special and he liked the attention his special name would give him. As he gets older, I think that he just wanted to blend in with other people and felt that his name just made him stick out.

When Gogol was born, his parents, Ashima and Ashoke, didn't have a name prepared for him because his grandmother was supposed to name him. They eventually named him Gogol because they were not allowed to leave the hospital without naming the baby. Usually, parents have plenty of names prepared when a baby is born, and in Gogol's case, that didn't happen. In my opinion, I think that naming is really important because I feel that a name can define a person. It may not be obvious when they are young, but when a child gets older and discovers the meaning of their name, or who they were named after it could sculpt who they become.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your take on names and their meanings! You grew up to the name Justine and that eventually molded who you are, even if it was subconsciously. Gogol didn't necessarily have the chance to do that. Not only did he (at one point) have two names, the name he went by for his childhood life wasn't even one that had been truly been thought out. The name Gogol was rushed, almost an after-thought. Perhaps that is why Gogol feels so distant from his culture? Not only did he grow up in a land far from his native homeland, but his culture failed him in some ways, in terms of his name. He didn't get the thought or consideration that he deserved. Just a thought!
    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your explanation on why Gogol does not like his name was great, it gave me a new perspective on the topic of his name. As you said you could relate to Gogol as people use to call you Justin, instead of Justine. I personally cannot relate to that, as my name is Jenna and not alot of people mess it up as it is a very simple name. In saying so, I think I would rather have a unique name like you (Justine) and Gogol, because like you said it made him feel special, and alot of attention was brought upon him due to his name. On another note, you said the naming of a baby is very important, and I 100 percent agree with you. Did you have any names in mind if you ever have a child later on in your life? If so, what would they be ?
    Great Blog!
    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you are totally right! From a young age I don’t think that we’re capable of understanding how having a unique name has such a tremendous advantage; a way for people to remember us as it allows us to stand out amongst a group of individuals. I am glad that you have grown to love your name because I think that it plays a huge role in accepting yourself as well. With that being said, have you considered that a name can also be a symbol of a certain expectation that is thrust upon us at birth? For example, parents such as Gogol’s parents have chosen a specific name to symbolize certain qualities that they expect their child to encompass as he grows older? This is subconsciously a sense of hope that they manifest and sometimes, it can result in an ultimate disappointment is their child is unable to attain such greatness that they have always aspired for them.

    ReplyDelete